MonsterHunt version 5.04

Post all UT Building, Coding, Modding, Tutorials and Non-Mapping content here!
Nelsona
What is the middle number? (one, TWO, three): 2
ExtraAntiSpam: Blue
extraextraantispam: Yes

MonsterHunt version 5.04

Post by Nelsona » Sun Dec 07, 2014 8:52 am

Nelsona

Re: MonsterHunt version 5.04

Post by Nelsona » Fri Dec 19, 2014 7:43 pm

Because I did not receive some feedback related to any bug found and because I found small flaws I have updated small things:
- Dispersion wrappers - when it was triggered too fast this weapon could do one small error and being a default one I'm not agree with that;
- Bot attitude small modification - attempting to ignore statues - works well or not depending on their codes else they are triggered in combat with any matter;
- and an important one - fixing patrol detection, initially having a general actor count could mess up patrolling (is not very used because we don't have advanced MH mappers) but I don't like when things aren't OK.

Link to folder has been updated. Also contains old files UXX and new UXX for player-cache, in purpose to avoid mismatch and to contact faster the servers without redirect (if exists any admin interested about such news).
Thank you!

Hermskii
Site Admin
NoMoreSpam: Silver

Post by Hermskii » Sat Dec 20, 2014 10:51 am

I haven't been paying attention. What is this Unrealtournament info page? Who owns it? I see a combined effort between Nelsona and Kelly which can only be good. I'll try to read more about this later but I wanted to say I'm glad to see this is going on. I had not heard of this other forum.
~Peace~

Hermskii

Nelsona

Post by Nelsona » Sat Dec 20, 2014 5:48 pm

It was initially fired up by TheDanes and later set to maintenance to Kelly because Danes I'm guessing wants a small holiday. Host has been payed so because it works normally, it was a need for an admin, this privilege has been granted to old friend Kelly.

Terraniux

Post by Terraniux » Mon Dec 22, 2014 9:51 am

Thanks for sharing, and the effort for making it!

But isn't the 503 version released by someone else, before everyone starts arguing about ripping and copycats over there?

Nelsona

Post by Nelsona » Mon Dec 22, 2014 1:36 pm

Terraniux wrote:But isn't the 503 version released by someone else, before everyone starts arguing about ripping and copycats over there?
Let's learn then something.
Enter in a server like DU where the mostly is played original MonsterHunt or anywhere where MH is original.
Input in console "mutate version" (you can do this even in your game where you have MH installed). Result is on screen (you can even capture a screenshot). Good... then ask admin about that MH when was added - installed.
I won't make you to wait. Let me answer: around 2006 - 2007 it was updated by Shrimp at version 5.03 (if you don't know yet who is the author of MonsterHunt game-type) and later he left UT (or ran away...).
During this time it was used by 2 sides: Players (browsing MH servers) and ... Servers of course. Even with a stupid load with bugs making admins to quit or to get mad at developing mutators, even with less quality in mapping and almost 0 Coop ideas it was very used as being a great idea of game-type. Mainly fixing bugs and reworking it would be causing a version mismatch.
Today GameSpy is out of duty (it was the only Master-Server sending a list with MH servers - read again). For which reason I need MH mod installed then if that one GameSpy is gone? I can tweak UT to show me MonsterHunt Servers ONLY without any MH file, yes, it is posted at TheDanes and at PlanetMonsterHunt (original ancient place) and at Hook. Else I did not see any "original" author interested in return to fix things because it needs that in these moments when players have a blind original MH Browser - no fun here.

Well, I have prepared terrain as follows:
- Make players happy with a browsing solution;
- Find a solution for player which plays in both 5.03 and 5.04 servers without mismatch;
- Make Admins happy with less bugs in MonsterHunt;
- Make mapper happy with more stuff which was totally avoided (Skaarj) due to their bugs.

So, because Officials are too busy for an update, I simply did it Unofficial. Why ? Because I wanted to prove to myself especially that MH can be more than improved.

For "copycat" or such, let's see. Original MonsterHunt source-code is available at Shrimp himself and Medor's collection. Version 5.04 Unofficial coded by Nelsona and Checked by Gopostal, has also source-code included. Feel free to compare both scripts and drew some conclusions about which author what copied from where to where and how much content belongs to EPIC themselves. Else you can compare some old "maps" how are monsters in v5.03 and v5.04, compare Bot, compare stuff generally and later let's see if we want to still claim v5.03 a MH game-type - and do this the mostly in Net-Gaming. In other way the most of new stuff MUST have a nearby architecture or else will break maps making them unplayable but not very the same way how was initially developed.

Else if these "copycats" heads to troubles, I'm giving a simple advice: enjoy craps from server's (game's) console while running v5.03 and wait for Shrimp's return to fix it without mismatch version error if clowns are uncaching files into their ON-Line game-client. Bugs coming from ScriptedPawn weren't in purpose of debates in this version - wait for Epic to fix them... Next Century ? Higor cannot screw headers in XC_Engine so I cannot promise nothing then for ScriptedPawn tunning.

And... discussion about MH recoding has been started some weeks ago, even announced at PlanetMonsterHunt. I did not notice any voice saying: STOP !!! We love bugs, do not fix it !!!
So what's the deal AFTER releasing ? Before releasing why Nobody said nothing ? Now I don't really care. AS I promised (and I keep my WORD): I won't ever play MH v5.03 and for full compatibility a kind of v5.0X is more than a need.

Of course I'm feel guilty for an important thing: Is probably too late, looking at Number of MH players - probably are just crawlers, I think MH players aren't so many these days.

Hermskii
Site Admin

Post by Hermskii » Mon Dec 22, 2014 11:24 pm

I see where it says what players have to do. Do I need to do anything with this as a server admin? I have not read everything but that last reply you did was great. I understood most of it and nobody is complaining that you did this work. I think he was just warning that people might gripe some but as you mentioned and as I already knew too that Shrimp released the code to this game years ago. I think it was Kelly or me actually who got him to do it but I might be wrong. Hell, let's just say it was Kelly's suggestion to Shrimp that got him to do it. Shrimps own forum or mine might have the answer for sure. I simply can't recall.

I'm pretty sure I'll be one of the folks who forgets the name of there own children and where i live now but recall where I lived when I was 4 years old which for me luckily is actually the same place so I won't be getting lost but I will forget names and people over time I'm sure. I'm really just hopeful that no matter how bad my dimensia will be or whatever it will be that gets me that I'll make people laugh, Otherwise I hope to be a crabby old man like the mean one on the balcony of the Muppet's Show.
~Peace~

Hermskii

Nelsona

Post by Nelsona » Tue Dec 23, 2014 1:28 am

Admin have options:
- using a kind of MH2 won't change anything doesn't matter if they keep v503 or v504, game running into server is a different one - an attached MH;
- using v503 means - I'm original and that's all not to mention again old bugs;
- using v504 - means changing 1 file in server and 1 file in redirect a sum of 2 files need to be changed, followed by a simple restart then stop shortly. Why ? In purpose to see new variables created and to adjust them if are a need to be changed - usually Verbose Mode is not a very need On-Line. After saving MonsterHunt.ini server can start permanent and nothing else needs changed. After this change probably only ScriptedPawn will drop some errors in console, not really MonsterHunt and not really Botpack or old known Accessed None(s).

Terraniux

Post by Terraniux » Tue Dec 23, 2014 7:39 am

Agreed with both. It is a good thing that you updated the 503 to 504, lots of improvement.
If you didn't do it, I doubt it would ever reach a higher version.

I don't like people touching or editing my maps, re-uploading it with a different name without my permission. Wether it is a fix or modification, I don't care who improved it, as long the original mapper (me) is in map properties presented, then I don't mind.

Just mention Shrimp in the licence or readme notes to be original author. That's all I am saying Nelsona :wink: .

Anyway, keep up the good work. Looking forward to have more products like these. :D

Hermskii
Site Admin

Post by Hermskii » Tue Dec 23, 2014 9:55 am

I see in the readme or explanation where Kelly mentions Nelsona's use of the word "craps" and am excited because I'm thinking someone might now be able to tell me the proper translation. What does Nelsona means when he says "Craps"? I think it means errors.
~Peace~

Hermskii

Hermskii
Site Admin

Post by Hermskii » Tue Dec 23, 2014 9:59 am

What does this fix? I have a feeling I know already but want it confirmed:

Player carcass lifetime
nHumanChunkTime=2.500000

Player chunk lifetime
nMonsterBodyTime=5.000000

Monster carcass lifetime
nMonsterChunkTime=4.000000

Monster chunk lifetime
md=0.150000

These lifetimes before could cause the server to crash right? I think this was the only error that ever crashed my MHM server regularly. When I get home I'll post an example of the crash. I can't recall from memory.
~Peace~

Hermskii

Nelsona

Post by Nelsona » Tue Dec 23, 2014 1:40 pm

Hermskii wrote:These lifetimes before could cause the server to crash right?
Or could not crash if are removed before to bite deadly.

You know... Actually I'm addicted the mostly to Windows based servers than Linux. I simply don't like monster animations under Linux and... tickrate is false. No worry, even Windows is far from perfection but is closer to reality more than a Linux based server.

But Windows was bitching me years with these carcasses. For a kind of MH2 My proposal to myself was another type of such things - Result ? Certain monsters uses their own animations bugging corpses and also have 0 error fixed, being only ported forward by some "modders".

I simply decided other things based on their check timers. Each or them (carcass itself and chunk) will trigger a check after passing a small interval. This interval if wants to perform the check after let's say 4 seconds, we can reduce life of chunks to 3.9 seconds to prevent bugged processes. Else... carcass won't bug player too much (Titan, Queen, etc) because their life will be... more reduced. Engine has an automatic management of actors with a limited LifeSpan. Time passed, actor is removed at end of tick. I simply put these things configurable as admin is considering, suggesting small timers as default options. They will survive maximum 60 seconds if time is set too much. Default carcass lives 180 seconds (enough to perform a random crash).

We have 4 things to tweak: Human Carcass, Human Chunk, Monster Carcass, Monster Chunk (happens even when monster is alive as I recall).

To not confuse things
md means MoverDelay. This was the mostly a personal revenge for some clowns called mappers by themselves doing a mover (door, lift) with instant reaction bugging player with an unwanted return. Player will retry to open it, door encroach player is and closed back immediately. This time we can delay that crap with a small period letting player to open it even dodging retreating fast before to encroach mover or it simply have a time fragment for a good usage of such lift. It is addressing to movers which aren't using TriggerControl, because TriggerControl the mostly is for doors a la Coret, Niven, etc. meant to react fast without any delay. Also TriggerControl used for Mission objectives is ruined to no longer mock Accesed Nones into console because mapper is less skilled for movers and who looks like is ignoring tutorials. These TriggerControl doors handled by Monsters might be ruined at a moment but won't cause troubles as long as they remain open (might happen if door has been opened and monster is killed instantly in that moment). Other types can be adjusted with a small delay ONLY if their default delay is 0 - with other words no delay. Mover having a delay 200 ms by mapper won't be affected and will stay delayed.

Your crashes (like mine) were something like TestCanSeeMe.... PlayerCanSeeMe etc.
Now, less happy things. We have Bird1, BiterFish (probably BiterFishSchool too - that crap is invisible anyway and why is checking me because I cannot see it by default), Fragment. These I think are admin decision because... Linux seems not very affected by this check, I even cannot recall a Linux server crashing for such reason. Don't worry, Linux develop other stupid crashes... If is a need, I can code a small server-actor meant to destroy Fragments regularly and to setup new species as replacement for nasty creatures.

In other order of ideas, as a last resort I'm agree the mostly with a crash rather than a stucked server boosting cooler to the sky. I prefer the less evil things. For such reason I implemented other measures... it is not need to speak everything about combat related occurrences.

To not forget that MH v504 starts the game-speed and timer itself getting over double or triple original UT start. It simply fire the game ONCE and this is reducing Skaarj bugs at minimum. Timers messing up game-speed and bringing bugs back aren't my fault or my ideas.

Nelsona

Post by Nelsona » Tue Dec 23, 2014 2:57 pm

Now to mention those "copy" lefts and rights and middles. Shrimp is into stage at Credits menu (in case of using original MonsterHunt.int file for some whatever reason) because it was the man with initial development and game-type idea for Tournament formula.

But... I happily destroyed testers mentioned. Why ? Because of both: Fun and Angry.

What tests were performed to MonsterHunt 5.00 and/or 5.03?

Testing how many errors are required to crash server for a refresh?
Testing MonsterHuntArena which was (and is still in v503) an UT garbage insulting coding in UScript. Even a retard can see what a mess is that spamming server and client with a mountain of Accesed Nones. Hey! If you want Accesed Nones I can do such a tool in max. 10 minutes.
Testing bugs from Old Weapons if are nice bugs or ugly bugs - because THEY have bugs;
Killing monsters with QuadShot (using a Door maybe)...
WHAT THE HECK has been tested then ? How to kill a Tentacle with Chainsaw in Chainsaw Arena ?
What any kind of 0 logic has been tested, verified and approved ?

About our Tests operated into Testing server ? Let me see...
- Map number 1 a test map by Gopostal and later Map number 2 completed to test pickups like Powerup and Amplifier (YES they are fixed like in original SP);
- Map number 3 unscrewed Demons][ with a lot of chances to crash original MH due to Roaming madness triggering maybe a roam server-crash. Now seems very playable into a Linux based server. In exchange, this map has an almost perfect Bot Support - read again, and learn from it;
- Map KrogaarSE - unscrewed because... it works (under Linux of course);
- Map Canyon - original and functional;
- MH-HighSpeed - Map Screwed (not ported) by Zeal and re-screwed by Me because Zeal was sick in those moments... to not speak more;
- Rook(V3) - a map ported and screwed by Me because author "forgot" Bot support properly done for such map;
- MH-Canals][ - probably this sign "][" is a sign of a crappy work. I simply screwed map just to show "how to" for future interested mappers not the way how was initially set and also I'm hating BSP Texture bugs;
- MH-Forbbiden+ - Screwed because some idiot spent his time to bring BSP bugs (I was lucky to fall there during a dodge) and having 0 additional interesting tweaks - the same message for that retarded CanyonSE messing up stuff and having 0 pathing fixes;
- MH-TomokoVs.... - unsigned and a sort of dumb one with 0 Bot Support has been successfully screwed and played by Me and some happy Bots. Such a cubes collection is a piece of cake to be properly set up but... Who cares about quality ?
And I think you understand what I mean here - I was hunting maps with Full Bot Support or really messed up in purpose to show a MH game how could be done some years ago, not how has been done. The most of stuff over 2009-2010 is not into my target because... those maps aren't for Bots, and neither interest for such things (you cannot dream how much I was working at the right behavior for MH Bot - and might be still improved) because for ME MonsterHunt is a game playable with Bots like CTF, DM and all defaults. So you just can imagine what I'm thinking about stuff with 0 or less Bot playability and all excuses related.

And now my question(s): Who gave permissions to those guys to screw playable maps morphing them into trashes with 0 fixes? They did not improve anything just morphed stuff into a trash-box content.

Hermskii
Site Admin

Post by Hermskii » Tue Dec 23, 2014 7:57 pm

Yes! It was the ActorTestCanSeeMe that always crashed my servers and yes it was always the remains of pieces of something that did it. Is there a way to determine the timer has started on a bitterfish as a piece of remains so that it can be destroyed immediately? If so I'd love to have a mod do that for the Bird1, BiterFish, and BiterFishSchool. I'm unsure but I think these are about the only things that crashed my server.

Also, I never switched to MH2 or Gold or whatever the latest version is. Do I have to switch to it for the 5.04 patch to work for people? I would not think so but I may decide to switch up to MH2 anyways because I know it has lots of cool stuff in it but I have already forgotten all it offers. I can look it up but MH and UT for that matter haven't been anywhere near the top of my list years. It isn't that I don't love UT and the servers and all of this. It is because I have simply had other things in my life that are simply more important. It all started about 10 years ago with this thing called a kid. Keeping him and the their one and their mother happy has altered my goals away from UT somewhat.

Believe it or not but i think I am the one who discovered this can't see me error. I hunted everywhere for years trying to find what caused it and how to fix it. I knew it was a timer tick issue but didn't understand anything more than that. Kelly was the first person who ever figured out most of the rest but still didn't have a total answer back then. Are you saying some of these pieces are built into MH as far as the timer goes?
~Peace~

Hermskii

Nelsona

Post by Nelsona » Wed Dec 24, 2014 12:58 am

Hermskii wrote:... Kelly was the first person who ever figured out most of the rest but still didn't have a total answer back then. Are you saying some of these pieces are built into MH as far as the timer goes?
To be honest I have only capped their life to minimize chances of bad things. Is like a lottery, if you don't play you will never win. If these things won't play, they won't really crash too much - at least this is the target for Win Servers. As long as Pawn types maybe have better versions done by other coders I let pawn alone to be managed by other mutators depending on needs. So Carcass and Chunk often causing troubles are a bit loved into MH v5.04. This tweak not exists yet in MH2 games but I'll copy it into mine.

Reading even codes from other games with monster (Coop types) on stage I have seen people commenting about "avoid BotPack". By avoiding BotPack you can get rid of its bugs and you can have a better deal with Skaarj. But a new timer won't react well toward deadly timer from these classes.
Ok, I'm playing some MH2 but is a complete rebuild as long as map like Miam could not be ended properly in these MH2 versions. I found a way indeed in my mod so I can play in MH2 almost all stuff done for original MH - even a more improved game.

So to speak MH2 a la Nelsona has changes:
- Bird1 is just another bird;
- BiterFishSchool and BiterFish - other prototypes;
- NaliRabbit (maybe Nalibullshit having nothing with Nali anyway) the same is changed;
- Fly - another bad timer causing Accesed Nones;
- SkaarjBerserker - some idiotic prototype without too many friends killing server if has no enemy - new type is able to lead Monsters;
- Gasbag - lazy attack fired against a pawn which previously has been already killed;
- Mercenary - noobs cannot understand how to use this type in maps and will cause errors when Mercenaries are spraying "Accessed Nones";
- Fragments are so nice ruined each second;
- Carcasses used by monsters are different fixing even the garbage developed by an "awesome" Mullog type;
- Projectiles fired by Monsters are more cute;
- etc. to not tell the same story about new A.I. bunching according to number of hunters...

Cons: As long as a MH2 aims a better game is a constant need to test some stuff and to update it a la Windows style (daily, weekly, monthly). I can say that a MH2 cannot be determined when will be ready - if will be ever ready due to a constant garbage added by all kind of mental unstable people which still mock UT. I gotta admit that these days I found very few people into UT so I was a bit happy to know that supplying trash has been reduced for a while.

My MH2 will be in future tweaked with a simple feature: at beginning of game to see which maps are for party, by checking availability of Navigation A.I. related if MonsterEnd is reachable if is not a Godz type one. If not, BYE into the toilette. I prefer 50 maps in server rather than 500 cubed trashes.