How to make your PC faster ;)

Posts about cool stuff Dr.Flay prescribes for you!
Dr.Flay
What is the middle number? (one, TWO, three): 2
ExtraAntiSpam: Blue
extraextraantispam: Yes
NoMoreSpam: Silver

How to make your PC faster ;)

Post by Dr.Flay » Thu Mar 13, 2014 1:36 am

THE TRUTH :roll:
You must place the tower or body of the PC and your modem or router on a sloping surface, so that it runs down-hill.
CPU throttling may play havoc on old PCs if they are not used to running in neutral.

The physics behind this is, that you are giving it more potential-kinetic energy. You do not want to achieve actual or total-kinetic state, as this often ends in disaster.
If you suspend the PC above the floor or table, you can gain more potential energy. The higher you go, and the more precarious the state, the more potential-kinetics you can achieve.
This is where the phrase "running on a knifes-edge" comes from.

It is a vague and arcane art at best, and not as scientific as the classic and more familiar "over-clocking".
Results will vary depending on the mass of your PC, how high you can raise it from the surface of the planet, the angle of tilt, cross-winds and potential of bird-strike.

This is knowledge from the "black book of stuff you do not tell to non-sys-admins". Not the catchiest of titles, but that's geeks for you.

That's all true that is.
...if you look at it from the right angle :?
chaoticdreams.org - @TheChaosMod - Web IRChat - [url=irc://irc.quakenet.org/chaoticdreams]IRChat[/url]

Hermskii
Site Admin

Re: How to make your PC faster ;)

Post by Hermskii » Tue Mar 25, 2014 11:23 pm

I only view new posts. Every once in a while I see I missed new posts because I haven't looked at the whole forum to see that I missed some new ones. I just saw this one for the first time. Certainly not the Dr.'s best advice IMHO. However much of it is accurate if you want to more quickly bring your PC to a end of life status. The higher you hang it before you release will impact the speed in which it comes to a end of life state when you release it. True that!
~Peace~

Hermskii

Dr.Flay

Post by Dr.Flay » Mon Mar 31, 2014 7:52 am

Bare in mind this is in the style of "the Hitchhikers Guide to the Galaxy", and only works in an alternative universe.

It was inspired by someone equally silly suggesting you could speed up your downloads if you tilted your monitor in the direction of the progress bar.

I wondered how far you could take this theory, and it seems the higher the better :mrgreen:

...well up to a point, as once you get too far away from the planet surface, you would need thrusters to keep the PC in geo-stationary orbit.
At least cooling would be less of an issue in the upper atmosphere, so that's a bonus :mrgreen:
chaoticdreams.org - @TheChaosMod - Web IRChat - [url=irc://irc.quakenet.org/chaoticdreams]IRChat[/url]

a nameless entity
What is the middle number? (one, TWO, three): 3
extraextraantispam: No

Post by a nameless entity » Mon Nov 03, 2014 6:58 pm

Hermskii wrote:it is accurate if you want to more quickly bring your PC to an end of life status: The higher you hang it before you release will impact the speed in which it comes to a end of life state when you release it. True that!
I was thinking of just using a sledge hammer. But my brother lent it to a friend and we never got it back. This sounds like less work over all though. If/when I move into a seniors apartment building I'll save even more effort over suspending it by just tossing it off of the balcony. ;)
Dr.Flay wrote: ...well up to a point, as once you get too far away from the planet surface, you would need thrusters to keep the PC in geo-stationary orbit.
At least cooling would be less of an issue in the upper atmosphere, so that's a bonus :mrgreen:
It's my understanding that older PC's do better in outer space than newer faster ones because the newer ones are more greatly disturbed by the random bits of radiant energy whizzing around up there. So perhaps I'll throw my PC as high upwards as I can when I toss it off of the balcony, thus ensuring that it runs almost as well as new for a few seconds at least. :?
I'm a man........but I can change........if I have to........I guess

Dr.Flay

Post by Dr.Flay » Fri Nov 07, 2014 11:30 pm

Hehe. There must be some crazy formula in there.
Acceleration would be gaining you lots of energy, but yeah the short term gain is a bit too pricey.

It occurs to me though, that if you dropped it from orbit with enough sidewise push, you can get it to constantly miss the Earth, and thus stay in orbit at high speed.
What with this modern age of Wifi, as long as you can keep it roughly above your house, you should be sorted :mrgreen:

Hook
Location: Minnesota USA (Just West of MPLS - by a pond beneath a tree - Dead & Buried)

Post by Hook » Sat Nov 08, 2014 11:40 pm

Good advice I'd say! :wink:
=Hook= of Hook's UT Place - Hopelessly Addicted to UT99!
Forum: https://hooksutplace.freeforums.net
CROSSBONES Missile Madness {CMM} (GT Top 50)
PRO-Redeemer | PRO-SNIPER-Redeemer | SEEKER-Redeemer
Birth Place of ALL Seeker/Scoped Deemers!
IP: NEW IP to come!
CROSSBONES Monster Hunt {CMH} (Special Edition MH by mars007)
IP: 108.61.238.93:7777

Nelsona

Post by Nelsona » Sun Feb 07, 2016 3:49 am

I think I found another solution for a faster PC.

First you need to travel in Japan, then put your PC into a MAG-LEV train. Now your PC will run with more than 400 km/h and even faster. :wink:

Dr.Flay

Post by Dr.Flay » Sun Feb 07, 2016 9:22 pm

Ahahaha!
How fast is your PC ?
Oh, about 400 km/h, but with tuning I hope to get it up to Mach 1.

EvilGrins

Post by EvilGrins » Mon Feb 08, 2016 1:49 pm

3 words: Ye olde catapult!

a nameless entity

Post by a nameless entity » Sun Apr 03, 2016 1:25 am

Nelsona wrote:I think I found another solution for a faster PC.

First you need to travel in Japan, then put your PC into a MAG-LEV train. Now your PC will run with more than 400 km/h and even faster. :wink:
Dr. Flay wrote:Ahahaha!
How fast is your PC ?
Oh, about 400 km/h, but with tuning I hope to get it up to Mach 1.
Now here's a technical question:

If you're downloading or uploading large files to/from your smartphone while travelling on the bullet train in Japan at 400+ kph, will the constant shifting of your signal from cell tower to cell tower cause you any problems? How well could the cell network keep up with you? Would your signal break up between cell towers, causing possible errors or corrupt files?

Hermskii
Site Admin

Post by Hermskii » Mon Apr 04, 2016 10:00 pm

Not at all. Radio is way faster than trains. The phone will download the files and swap to the best towers with no issues.
~Peace~

Hermskii

Nelsona

Post by Nelsona » Tue Apr 05, 2016 1:26 pm

These techs aren't checked by me but someone did another check.

He was running and reading a letter in the same time.
Another guy was asking:
- Hey why do you read and run in the same time ?
Answer was very accurate:
- I wanna know last location where my voice it's still audible...

KellyD

Post by KellyD » Sun Apr 10, 2016 6:54 am

This is something I can speak towards as it falls in line with my Army job (my MOS was 29Y, satellite communications tech).

Back in the day early cell phones were analog and not digital. When switching stations you could even hear an audible -click- as the phone was handed off from tower A to tower B when you were moving. That entire way of working is completely deprecated now.

Cell phones now are entirely digital. Most times you are attached to several towers and not just one. That's why FBI stingrays work. They don't need to be inserted into the network, they just need to monitor your phone as an auxiliary network node.

The software controlling cell phone 'primaries', meaning the main tower you are using at any given moment, is very very complex. You will be assigned to a primary as well as several secondaries depending on availability and strength. These switch seamlessly, always selecting the strongest one. Transfer protocols built into the software monitors for packet loss or damage and if any is found it asks for that package again. That's why you get so few issues as long as you have a decent signal.

The down side (there's always one)? Because the software is SO good at tracking your signal strength compared to local towers to you, I've read that precise location tracking even with GPS turned off on the phone is easily done. The phone can be triangulated in real time constantly. That's why Ed Snow was so important when he told us what was going on.

Anyway, there ya go. Hope that helps some.
Retired. Please email to contact.

Nelsona

Post by Nelsona » Wed Apr 13, 2016 2:19 pm

There are several forms of tracking. Even older cell phones were including a "secret" menu. Some of them were able to show signal strength and Cell ID of the zone where phone was roaming. Then reading that data right from phone is doable with 0 efforts from human, hit some menu in operator equipment and here it is our dude. Much better phone = better results. No worries, guards are watching us so we are safe...

a nameless entity

Post by a nameless entity » Sat Apr 16, 2016 1:00 am

Well, cool. So you can smartphone and laptop everywhere and be in perfect touch with the "cloud" at all times. Even on a bullet train. Neato! :? :roll:

So even if you turn your phone off most of the time, "they" find you the moment you switch it on again. And collect gobs of metadata from just about everything you do online with it. Neato! :?

Soon microchips will be able to do what smart phones do now. How many more years do you think it will be before all new borns will be required to be "chipped"?

What are we going to do if it turns out that cell phone RF really is bad for us?
Just about every tall apartment building in my town has cell phone equipment on its roof. I'm surrounded by RF transmitters. Of course, I'm old, so it's not a big issue for me, but I worry for our young people. They've been continuously exposed to all of this intense RF energy all of their lives.